Monday, January 24, 2011

Ribbons, Flowers and Bows

Easy bow holder  I have been making these for baby showers lately and they have been a huge hit at the parties.  This one is easy.  Are you ready?

Items Needed:
Large Wooden Initial Letter. I get mine at Michael's and use a 40% off coupon
2 (or 4) equal lengths of 1 to 2 inch ribbon I like the grosgrain
Coordinating craft paint
and one coordinating piece of scrapbook paper optional
 
 
 
 
If you will be NOT be covering the letter with paper you will paint the entire front and sides of the letter and let dry.  If you will be using paper you still have to paint the sides of the letter for a more finished look.

For adding the paper- This can be done one of two ways.
The first way is: Lay the paper down with the wrong side facing up.  Lay the letter down on the paper and trace around the letter.  - Cut the letter out and using some sort of decoupage medium - I use Mod Podge, or make my own if I'm out by mixing equal parts of water and school glue i.e. Elmers glue. This works the same only it is not acid free, so if you plan on keeping your bow holder forEVER use the Mod Podge.

I ALWAYS paint the wood first with the decoupage then adhere the paper and if needed gently pull back the edges and reapply more decoupage.  You can paint the top side of the paper if you choose, I don't particularly like that glossy look, - even when using the matte finish it still has a sheen to it, in my opinion. Also, the paper tends to bubble up on me when do the top. 
Now, let the paper completley dry.  After its dry take a sanding block or some cheap dollar store emeryboards and file the paper around the letter making the two ONE. 

The second way is:  If you are using a patternd paper that you want a certain part to show on the letter I have just put the decoupage on the wood and placed the entire sheet of paper over the letter being sure to line up where you want the pattern.  I let it dry then cut most of the paper around the letter and then take my sanding block and finish it that way. You may need to adhere more decoupage along the edges.

After everything is dry go ahead and start embelishing.  This is a great way to use up some of those ribbon scraps you have laying around. 

Now, sew or staple your two pieces of ribbon together at one edge and glue to the wooden letter on the back side.  You can see I have two tails of ribbons hanging down from these letters.  I made an "O" one and only used one tail.  This will be your choice.  I wasn't sure if the hot glue would hold the ribbon with all the bows, but The "R" one shown was the first one I made and it is still holding up strong for 2 years.

I'd love to see if you make your own bow holder, Have fun!  I can't wait to show you what I made to hold all of Little Bs headbands.  Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. You're so clever. Were you always crafty and artsy? I never was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, You are so nice! I think I have always been. We didn't have alot growing up, but we did have great imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved these! Now please make me 2 of them lol a S and a E :) You know you love me!

    ReplyDelete